Clear all

Salary Negotiation Basics

3 Posts
2 Users
1 Likes
Dave Jensen
(@davejensencareertrax-com)
Topic starter  

We've got a lot of great, experienced posters who come into this forum regularly, and I'd like to ask them, "What is the first thing to learn about salary negotiation?" 

For me, I'd say that the best approach when asked about your compensation expectations is to just reverse the question -- to ask, "I only expect to be paid fairly among the range of people with similar experience levels in your company. May I ask what the range of compensation is for this role?"  In other words, turn the question around. If they come up with a range and respond to your reversed-inquiry, you might ask further, "What qualifications or performance might be required to be in the higher end of that range?" as HR managers are always reluctant to extend an offer much past the mid-point of that scale they've assigned to the job.

Other comments or suggestions on the very basic aspects of compensation discussion? We can get more detailed as we go into the topic.

Dave

Dave Jensen, Founder and Moderator
Bio Careers Forum

DX
 DX
(@dx)
Estimable Member

Hi Dave,

Of course all that is subject to many factors including employement status and readiness to leave a position (i.e. statisfaction with current job/compensation), and of course, experience.   The power behind negotiation is mult-factorial. 

At the begining of one's career - especially at transition from academia, my recommendation is not to be to hard on salary negotiation - rather its about getiting experience first and foremost.  And early in career there can be trade-off so being hard on salary that also includes getting experience.  And example there can be lateral moves, where one may not get much salary negotiation power and ambition may be to defend current earnings or have low incremental increase.

Also with salary comes other items that don't have moneary value, but have personal value such as working from home.  

Later on one can be a bit firmer on salary negotiation especially if BATNA is to walk away.  Early in career is where you can wiggle a bit with salary and then firm up on expection and income growth with a few notches as discussed on another thread.

DX

A

Dave Jensen reacted
ReplyQuote
Dave Jensen
(@davejensencareertrax-com)
Topic starter  

DX,

You are sure right about taking it a bit easy as a young scientist doing negotiation. Too many postdocs or new grads read a book about negotiating and they come in like tigers, too strong and really don't do themselves any justice. 

Dave

Dave Jensen, Founder and Moderator
Bio Careers Forum

ReplyQuote
Share: